Director, Fiber Engineering
Tucows has been on the Internet since people unironically called it the Information Superhighway.
Today, we’re the second largest domain wholesaler in the world with over 14,925405 domains under management (OpenSRS / Enom). We’re doing all kinds of interesting things, including running an MVNO cell phone service (Ting) and building fiber to the premises networks in towns and cities across the US (Ting Internet). We offer individual and small business domains and integration with various popular platforms (Hover/Ascio and many more).
We’re a team of over 600 serving tens of millions of customers around the world. Our growth has been incredible, smart and measured (NASDAQ: TCX, TSX: TC). Our success is built on a solid technology foundation, thanks to the people that work with Tucows.
Ting is a division of Tucows, a global Internet services company. Ting shook up the mobile industry in 2012, offering fair pricing, usable interfaces and shockingly non-phone-company-like customer support. Today we have over 250,000 devices and 150 dedicated employees in multiple locations. We were also the highest rated US cell phone service by Consumer Reports in both 2014 and 2016.
Now we are investing millions in fiber networks in the US, and partnering with towns and cities to change what Americans expect from their Internet service provider. We have already launched Gigabit speed service in Charlottesville, VA, Westminster, MD, and Holly Springs, North Carolina, Sandpoint Idaho, Centennial Colorado, Fuquay-Varina North Carolina--and we are actively building and planning new markets.
Does the idea of building a fiber network from scratch excite you? Do you believe in the transformative power of gigabit fiber? Do you enjoy leading and mentoring bright engineering minds? If so, this role could be for you!
We are looking for an experienced OSP design leader to head our OSP engineering team. You will be responsible for the design of our fiber to the home (FTTH) networks across the United States, and will play a supporting role in their construction. We’re building in multiple markets, so your ability to stay organized and plan ahead will be key.
This is a leadership role that also involves lots of cross-functional communication, so possessing strong leadership abilities, well-rounded OSP engineering knowledge, and the ability to interface with outside vendors and municipal governments will be key. Strong verbal and written communications skills are a must.
- Lead and manage a team of OSP designers and GIS analysts responsible for the design and documentation of our fiber plants across the United States (both aerial and underground).
- Provide technical oversight of all OSP network designs and network implementation plans: review construction/fiber/permit drawings, and provide feedback and guidance where necessary. Assist the team in devising cost-efficient, achievable solutions for a wide range of build scenarios (aerial, underground) and service types (dedicated Ethernet, enterprise gigabit, point to point, etc.)
- Ensure deliverables are provided in a timely manner, and process feedback received from local construction teams on the ground to ensure interruption-free construction timelines.
- Design, engineer and recommend hardware solutions to support network capacity requirements where necessary.
- Liaise with our market development team to determine feasibility new build opportunities, and support our enterprise sales team in securing new business.
- Assist in the development of plant engineering budgets, plans and timelines which align to corporate goals.
- Bachelor’s degree in a technical and/or business field, or related experience.
- 10+ years experience in outside plant design, including experience with fiber optic (FTTX) networks and/or HFC or copper networks.
- 5+ years management experience.
- Ability to juggle multiple deadlines and priorities concurrently.
- Some U.S. travel required.