Senior Manager, Taxation
Tucows has been on the Internet since people unironically called it the Information Superhighway.
Tucows (NASDAQ: TCX, TSX:TC) is a quietly, wildly successful $750 million company. Over twenty-five years, we have reinvented software distribution and domain name registration around the world and challenged multi-billion-dollar phone and cable companies in the US, mostly out of a small warehouse in Liberty Village, Toronto.
Even though we’re a pretty large company, we strive to limit bureaucracy and get good ideas off the ground quickly. We believe anyone, at any level in the organization, can bring forward ideas, initiatives and creative input.
We have an exciting newly created opportunity for a Senior Manager, Taxation to join the Finance Department. Reporting to the CFO, the Senior Manager Tax, will become a key member of a global finance team working with third-party advisors, responsible for general tax compliance, planning, and accounting for income taxes for the United States, Canada and Germany.
What you’ll be doing:
● Lead the quarterly financial statement tax reporting process including preparing quarterly and annual tax provision working papers, review of financial statement tax notes and responding to requests from external auditors
● Manage the tax compliance cycle of the Tucows Group, including co-ordinating third-party advisors globally to ensure timely and accurate filings of tax returns
● Update and maintain appropriate transfer pricing process documentation and controls with a continuous improvement mindset and utilize technology whenever possible.
● Assist with other tax planning and compliance processes by establishing best practices and controls, including sales, value-added and property tax compliance.
● Support and coordinate with third-party service provider compliance requirements with respect to FCC/USAC filing requirements, including new product tax mapping
● Monitor legislative changes in U.S. and Canada, and key international tax laws that may impact the company and work with third-party advisors to address any consequences of such changes.
● Complete other tasks as assigned by the CFO which may include performing multi-jurisdictional tax research, preparing tax memoranda, analyzing business cases and M&A opportunities.
What It Takes:
● Bachelor’s degree required, CPA designation or legal Tax background
● Minimum of 7 years tax experience
● Experience in the following technical areas would be advantageous: Consolidated tax return process for a large multinational company, ASC 740 (FAS 109), FIN 48 reserve analysis, Purchase accounting, Transfer Pricing documentation
● Ability to evaluate, analyze, prioritize work under tight timelines, and problem solve a variety of tasks to ensure timely and accurate completion
● A proactive, can-do, work ethic; a demonstrated strong desire to work hard to identify issues and opportunities, including exemplifying a trust, but verify approach
● Telco experience an asset
● Ability to manage relationships with external tax advisors in tax planning and compliance assignments. Ability to work cooperatively with internal finance and accounting services teams. Collaborate with peers and senior management on file planning and completion within time constraints